how to feed the baby? plastic worries parents - glass water bottle companies
New parents across the United States are watching the fence staple food of 1950 s for the second time: glass bottles.
Long ago, it was replaced in most of America. S.
Due to concerns about the chemicals used in making plastic, glass bottles are making a comeback.
When Amber Rickert in Los Angeles first heard that chemicals in plastic baby bottles might ooze out, she felt sick ---
I bought glass bottles right away.
"For me, it's like a complete no. brainer.
I didn't even think twice, "said 34-year-old Rickert, who got word on the topic from Booby Brigade, an online for mothers
"A group of women are changing clothes.
In February, an environmental group in Los Angeles released a report called "toxic baby bottles", which helped to stimulate new interest.
Subsequently, the sale of glass bottles website business soared, EBay prices also rose sharply. Evenflo Co.
A company that produces glass and plastic baby bottles has seen a sudden surge in demand for glass.
"It really caught us off guard," said John glenelsey, owner of the Ramby nursery collection, a baby products dealer in Washington state who ran out of glass bottles two months ago, I don't know when I will receive another shipment.
The problem is the double phenol A or the double phenol.
It is used to make hard polycarbonate plastic that is transparent and anti-crushing.
The chemical is used in the manufacture of plastic baby bottles, microwave cookers, food packaging and many other products.
BPA can be dissolved from polycarbonate plastic, but whether this will cause any harm to humans is a heated debate.
The federal regulator did not take any action to limit the use of the double phenol a found in the blood of most people, and the plastics industry said the double phenol a was safe.
San Francisco banned chemicals from children under the age of 3 last year, but recently decided to postpone it because of state consideration.
A state law commission considered A bill restricting the use of biphenol A, but decided this month to wait for more research results.
Mary Brunn, the founder of making our milk safe, is Alameda-
The group, which has 500 members nationwide, said the latest warning of BPA was "anger and call for action ".
"We're talking about baby bottles, which are something that gives nutrition to your child," she said . ".
"There's nothing more basic than that.
"After the report was released in February, frustrated parents ordered glass bottles from the online store Natural Baby.
"It's just a nightmare," said general manager Jennifer times . ".
"You won't believe some customers ---
How angry they are
The report also helped promote the business of Born Free, an online company that sells "BPA-
Free plastic and glass bottles.
But Tonya Lafontaine has completely abandoned the baby bottle.
Aliso Viejo resident breast-
Fed her two children, but when she went out, she often put her breast milk in plastic bottles with the babysitter, which she gave up after reading the plastic bottles.
"I decided that I would rather go anywhere with my child than introduce him to toxic things," said the 36-year-old . ", Because she questioned the safety of the nipples, she did not trust the glass bottles.
"Now I'm a little scared of plastic," Lafontaine said . " He is an information technology supervisor at home, but says "mom" is her main job.
"I decided it was best to throw everything away.
"The use of bisphenol A in children's products has caused fierce controversy.
BPA mimics sex hormone estrogen, and in tests on animal fetus and newborn animals, low doses cause reproductive damage, including injuries that may lead to prostate disease, breast cancer, and birth defects.
Many scientists suspect that the chemical will have a similar effect on humans, although it has not been confirmed.
Recently in Los Angeles, a group of grocery stores and bottle makers represent a family of 5-year-
Old San Francisco Bay area.
The lawyer said the boy was hurt by the reproductive system by using plastic bottles.
Seeking class action
Action status, designed to force the company to disclose chemicals contained in the plastic on packaging and bottles, and that the plastic can penetrate into the liquid.
"They know very well that people will not buy the item when they are properly informed of the danger," said Jon eardry, the child's lawyer.
He said there was no response from the other party.
The baby bottle report for February was released by the California Environmental Research and Policy Center in Los Angeles.
It says laboratory tests have shown that in many animal studies, these bottles filter double phenol A "at dangerous levels ".
"The report says that plastic breaks down during use, allowing chemicals to penetrate into the liquid.
Five popular bottle brands were selected for testing: Avent, Evenflo, Playtex, Gerber, and Dr. Brown's.
All the chemicals were filtered out, the report said.
"When this story happened, we got more electronic information.
Dan Jacobson, director of California's environmental legislation, said: "mail and phone calls are more than we get from caring parents and they ask us what to do . ".
It is the representative of the American Chemical commission in Arlington, Virginia.
He said many studies support the safety of products produced with biphenol.
"Unfortunately, the California environment has caused parents to worry about the safety of polycarbonate bottles," Steve Hentges said . ".
"Scientific evidence supports the use of these bottles.
He said: "The study on the loss of BPA has been going on for at least 20 years.
The focus of the debate, he said, is the content of the chemical and whether it is harmful.
"All of these studies are evaluated by government agencies around the world," Hentges said . ".
"According to these assessments, the polyfat baby bottles used worldwide are considered safe.
"Many parents don't know anything about BPA.
Some have expressed vague concerns about plastic problems, but they say they don't know how to take the reports about baby bottles seriously.
One mother said she had enough time to worry about pollution and global warming.
Marni O'Dell, the mother of three children from Owen, said she had not even heard of glass bottles.
But she didn't like the idea.
The 35-year-old said, "This is crazy. year-old stay-at-home mom.
"It seems wrong to put glass in the baby's hands.
"But Charles Finlay's wife is getting married next month.
Chico hotels California
A couple bought plastic bottles but decided not to use them after reading the latest report.
"I had glass bottles when I was a child," Finley said . ".
Some people say they change glass bottles. -
If they can find them
A spokeswoman for the baby "R" Us said that after the chain's report in February, sales of glass bottles increased, but slowed.
"There are still elevators, but mainly in California," says Kathleen wo . ".
President Bob Mel said the online baby bottle seller baby supermarket sold out glass bottles soon after the report was released.
"All of a sudden, women are very eager to get these things," he said . ".
"I hope it won't disappear because we loaded. "leslie. Deposit @ latimes.
ComTimes staff writer Marla Cone contributed to this report.